July 18, 2011

Planking Reminiscent of the Middle Passage? Get a Grip!

This is my response to an article I read about the "controversy" behind the new trend planking. Click here to read the full article:
'PLANKING' Has Roots in Slavery, The 'Middle Passage' 


So let me get this straight, any time someone is lying flat on their faces or backs it is a reference to the Middle Passage? Are we not all guilty of perpetuating the atrocity of the Middle Passage every time we lay down to sleep? I am all for the principle of sankofa, looking back to honor the past as we look forward to embrace the future, but I truly believe you are looking for a soapbox to stand on.

Sometimes things are just fun and frivolous without any horrific connotation. I doubt Tom Green or two English guys (or anyone else claiming to be the originator) was thinking about slavery or trafficking human beings when they devised this "game."

I find your assertions to be fallacious instigation.

Be forewarned... I'm launching a series of truly offensive planking photos, just to make the distinction. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment