April 29, 2011

MISSING: Dark Skinned Black Women -- Tell Me Have You Seen Them?

MISSING: Dark Skinned Black Women -- Tell Me Have You Seen Them?

Originally written by Pia M. Murray on April 25, 2011
 
Ok, by now I think y'all know I like to get a little crazy with my titles, but it made you say "What is this chick blabbering about, now?" and read this note... didn't it? (Made ya look!)

But seriously, I- of all people, have an opinion that I want to share with the world. Recently while reading none other than The Mane Source  (www.themanesource.com) the source of all things natural hair, I came across a post about the new Carol's Daughter ad. Do the female celebrities in the ad fully represent the range of women who buy and use the products? Does the talent selection reinforce standards of beauty that have alienated women of darker skin tones for generations? Ehhh... aowknow
Carol's Daughter Polyethnic Campaign
But I won't front, I personally went through perspectives as I considered the ad. I thought you'd might like to hear them, so here they go:

As a business administrator: there are many logistical factors to consider when choosing the models, will they generate sales? are they recognizable? do they fall in line with our mission? will they use our product? can we afford them?
As a natural hair fanatic: the selections don’t portray as much variety as could be presented by 3 people. I wish it wasn’t such a hard road to grow long hair for me, I’d like to shave one side of my head. straight, straight, kinky curly… eh.
As a dark brown skinned woman: SIGH! Here we go again. Pia, get over it- you’re making a big deal out of nothing. well if they need a darker woman, they also need a lighter woman. truuuuuu, keep it real. jus sayin’.

As Pia: maybe I should do some research on this. oh, this is part of their “polyethnic campaign”. no wonder they’re of lighter complexions (accept Solange who I think is a chameleon cause she always looks different). I should share this with people. they need to know this, its very important: http://tinyurl.com/3cptz9z



~In Hair Solidarity,

Pia

No comments:

Post a Comment