April 29, 2011

The Permed Witch Hunt Is On!!!

The Permed Witch Hunt Is On!!!

Originally written by Pia M. Murray on Wednesday, March 2, 2011
 
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my natural hair and I get that "Kumbaya" feeling as I see the number of women sporting kinky hair multiply in droves. Those of you who follow me on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube know that I have a bit of an addiction when it comes to styles and products for natural hair and I encourage every woman I know to feel comfortable enough to give up chemical alterations. My goal in providing encouragement is not to ostracize or marginalize women who choose to perm their hair (although the health concerns should be enough to deter anyone from the "creamy crack").

However hair issues are no different from issues of civil rights, socio-political-economic disparity and religion- often the marginalized group seeks equality by immolating the dominating group and then degrading them. Step one has happened; there is significantly more representation of women with natural hair in the media and more products manufactured to support manageability and health. And now comes step two: REVERSE HAIRISM.

Now we have the MILLION NATURAL WOMEN MARCH-esque movement happening, and there's a sea of afros, twists and braids wielding pitchforks and nooses, ready to lynch the perms and weaves.

But I think I take greater issue with the INSTIGATORS who "don't judge" but feel they must ask (explicitly or implicitly) the probing questions of "What is she saying by perming her hair? How will others take it?" I'm referring specifically to a post I just read on The Mane Source: http://themanesource.com/2011/03/02/chrisette-michele-is-thinking-about-relaxing/
Photo from themanesource.com
 Chrisette Michele tweeted that she was considering perming her hair- now hold on there, put down the pitchfork and hear the sista out. The Mane Source is not casting judgment, just pointing out "While this may not be a big deal to some,  this innocent statement has the potential to send shockwaves through her community of #naturalhair fans."

But the more I think about it, the more I feel it is IT IS THE INSTIGATORS WHO SEND SHOCKWAVES by suggesting there is anything to be shocked or waved about. (And here I hold the mirror to myself, as one who has become very passionate about the topic.)

Things are changing! Many women with curly and kinky tresses (whether black, brown, red, yellow or white) have paved the way for women to feel comfortable choosing not to alter their hair texture. But that's what the "Movement" should be about: CHOICE. One should feel free and valid in whatever choice they make, so long as it does not harm or degrade another's choice.

I prefer my natural hair but I'M A DIVA NO MATTER HOW I WEAR MY HAIR (if you don't know, you better ask somebody). Let's not flip the script by telling others they are wrong, evil or invalid because their personal choices don't match our own. It's just HYPOCRITICAL and reveals the TRUE LACK OF SELF-ESTEEM that lies beneath the RALLY CRIES.

~In Hair Solidarity,

Pia

No comments:

Post a Comment